Skip To Main Content

Rent & Utility Assistance

Rent & Utility Assistance

Community Action Emergency Rent Assistance: Provides limited assistance with past due rent. Assistance is limited and not guaranteed.

Please check Community Action's website regularly for updates:

How to Apply for Emergency Rent Assistance

You must call 503-615-0770 on the 15th of the month, hit dial at exactly 9:00 AM. Rental assistance slots fill up in seconds. As soon as you hear a recorded outgoing message, press 1 for English or 2 for Spanish. Once the next message starts, press 1 for rental assistance. Do not wait for the outgoing messages to finish, or you will miss the window for assistance.

Be prepared to provide the following information: 

  • Full names (for everyone in the household)

  • Dates of birth (for everyone in the household)

  • Social security number (for everyone in the household that has one)

  • An estimated annual or monthly GROSS income amount the household has received in the past 12 months or the past 30 days

  • Be prepared to provide/upload a copy of your current nonpayment of rent notice from your landlord

To qualify you must: 

  • Have a notice for nonpayment of rent from your landlord for the current month you are applying for

  • Household has not received emergency rental assistance in the past twelve months

  • Are below the 50% Area Median Income

Emergency Rent Eligibility

Housing and Urban Development Department (HUD) 2024 Income Limits

Household Size

Annual 50% AMI

Monthly 50% AMI


























Community Action Utility Assistance: Utility Assistance program offers financial assistance to low-income families in Washington County, Oregon. If your household income is at or below 60% of Oregon's median income, you may qualify for help with electricity, natural gas, bulk fuel, water, garbage, and high-speed internet. 

A past-due notice or disconnection is not required to apply for assistance. You are encouraged to fill out an application before you receive a utility notice. All applications are completed and processed on a first-come, first-serve basis. 

If you are within 24 hours of disconnection, please call 503-615-0771 and leave a voicemail.

Assistance with energy bills is available to all qualified Washington County residents. Residents can receive direct bill assistance on electricity, gas, or bulk fuels one time per year. Most programs have the same or similar eligibility requirements, so we strongly encourage you to apply for all assistance you may be eligible for.
Utility Assistance Application Online 2024

Utility Assistance Eligibility

Income Guidelines 2024

Household Size

Monthly Gross Income

























Each additional member



Garbage Bill Discount and Water Assistance: Garbage bill discount programs and water assistance programs are available for income-qualified residents. These programs are for residents who pay directly for water and garbage, are not paying a third party, or are not in collection services. You can receive assistance once a year. Click the buttons below for what may be available in your area.

General Renter Support & Housing Stability Information: Emergency rent, Washington County Eviction Court & process, first appearances in eviction court, legal resources, and housing mediation. 

Eviction Defense Project: call 888-585-9638 with case number and court date to receive free legal help at eviction court, available regardless of immigration status ✦

Always attend eviction hearings; your case will be lost if you don’t show up.