AVID’s Mission Statement: to close the achievement gap by preparing ALL students for college readiness and success in a global society.
AVID stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination and is designed to help students prepare for and succeed in high school and college. Students in this program commit themselves to improvement and preparation for college and careers. AVID offers a rigorous program of instruction in academic skills that will prepare them for entry into college and careers. The AVID program focuses on the five areas of WICOR: Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization and Reading. Students also practice in collaborative tutorial or scholar groups that are lead by tutors. These groups allow students to bring topics they are confused about from their other classes, and then work through a group process of higher-order-thinking skills to unlock the understanding.
What AVID is . . . .
- About empowering students to take control of their learning and advocating
- An in-school academic support program that prepares students for college eligibility and success.
- About helping students move from average performance in classes to exemplary performance
- For ALL students, but targets those in the academic middle.
- Is implemented school-wide and also at both of our High Schools
What AVID is NOT..
- A remedial program
- An easy class
- A niche program
- College outreach program