Bus Stops and Routes
Transportation Eligibility is based on the distance from a student’s home to their school of residence:
- Elementary Students and Middle School Students who live more than one mile from their school of residence will be eligible for transportation services.
- High School Students who live more than one and one-half miles from their school of residence will be eligible for transportation services.
- Transportation services are not provided to students attending a school outside of their local attendance area due to Administrative Transfer or Open Enrollment.
- School bus drivers are strictly prohibited by the Oregon Department of Education from adding unscheduled stops to bus routes. Please do not ask them to make stops that are not on their route.
- If a student needs to ride on a different bus, a parent or guardian must provide a signed note. This note must also be approved by the school office and presented to the bus driver in the afternoon. Parent permission will need to be supplied for each day. (During COVID-19 students may only ride the regular bus)
- Escorting your child to/from the bus stop is highly recommended for kindergarten and first-grade students, especially at the beginning of the school year. It is also highly recommended for any student who may have difficulty navigating their way to/from the bus stop.
- Kindergarteners will NOT be dropped off at their bus stops after school unless there is an authorized adult or older sibling there to greet them. If your student is going to daycare after school, the daycare provider must be at the stop to greet the child. Kindergarteners will be wearing name tags ( provided by the school) to make sure they are delivered to the right stop.
Guidelines for walking distances to stops are:
- 2 – 4 blocks for elementary students.
- 4 - 5 blocks for middle school students.
- 5 – 6 blocks for high school students.
A block is 1/10th of a mile, or 528 feet.
Some students may be assigned to stops that exceed these distances if local street infrastructure does not support safe school bus travel. Bus stops will generally not be placed in cul-de-sacs, dead-end streets, or on private roads. Every effort is made to have bus stops at the safest points possible and at intersections.
Please make sure your child should arrive at the bus stop at least five minutes before the bus is scheduled to arrive.