What is Site Council?
Site Council serves as the advising board for Alberta Rider Elementary. Every year, the team analyzes and evaluates the academic achievement of all students in the school. After reviewing broad based academic performance and looking at the big picture of the school's progress, the team and the principal create the Continuous Improvement Plan (CIP). This plan, once developed, is submitted by the school and approved by the school district.
The CIP may include a new academic program or a staff member of parent outreach strategy. As the school budget is limited and many funds can only be spent under strict guidelines, the decisions are made taking into consideration the best overall interest of our school and students.
Over the course of a year, the Council works with the principal to evaluate the school's progress toward the academic and climate goals included in the CIP. To monitor performance, individuals who are responsible for programs in the school plan are invited to make presentations to the Council during its scheduled meetings. During these presentations, the Council seeks to understand the nature of the program, success data, and opportunities for improvement.
Site Council is made up of a group of teachers, parents and classified employees that work with the principal to develop, review and evaluate the school improvement programs. Our primary goal is to increase student achievement. We do this by working toward improving instructional programs and plan for professional development.
Sample Topics Discussed at School Site Council Meetings
- What are the academic goals and priorities of the school?
- What data can be reviewed to ascertain whether the school is achieving the established goals?
- Is the school making progress toward the goals that have been established?
- Are there particular groups of students who are not doing as well as others?
- What programs should be implemented to help students that are not meeting expectations?
- How are these programs funded?
- Are there certain programs that are not effective or do not support the academic and/or climate goals?
- How are programs measured for effectiveness?
When does it meet & how can I join?
Our Site Council meets for an hour after school. All meeting dates are scheduled and communicated to members no later than September. If you are interested in joining Site Council, please e-mail the principal, Rory Moore, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (503) 431-4908