English Language Development
Welcome / Bienvenidos / ласкаво просимо / chào mừng / 환영 / Welina / ようこそ
добро пожаловать / أهلا بك / ښه راغلاست
In Tigard-Tualatin School District, we are proud to serve over 1,200 multilingual students that speak over 44 different languages. Our Multilingual Learners (MLLs) make up a vibrant and culturally diverse population in our school district; we are proud to offer our MLLs a dynamic and growing English Language Development (ELD) program.
Our ELD services offer our students language learning for success in life and in school. Our services are focused on helping our multilingual students attain English proficiency and develop high levels of academic achievement in English. We use a variety of service models, such as small group language development instruction, collaborative co-teaching, and sheltered instruction for newcomer students. Students with emerging English language proficiency are offered additional time and more class support. Our services taper over time as students develop academic language proficiency.
Our services offer our Kindergarten through Grade 12 students focused instruction to grow their English language proficiency. Each year, our students take the English Language Proficiency Assessment (ELPA) to demonstrate their growth in English listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
Please reach out to Tim Blackburn and Jen Devlin with questions about TTSD's ELD program.
Director of Teaching and Learning
ELD Administrative Specialist
Resources for Families
Annual Oregon English Learners Report (June 2022)
- Understanding Language - Key Principles of ELL Instruction
- Guide for Families of Multilingual Students (English)
- Guide for Families of Multilingual Students (en español)
- Ensuring Meaningful Communication with Limited English Proficient Parents
- Resources about Pre-school and Kinder ELs - Colorín Colorado
- Resources about Elementary ELs - Colorín Colorado
- Resources about Secondary ELs - Colorín Colorado