• Frequently Asked Questions

    What services do you provide at the resource center?

    The center provides information and community resource counseling to families in the Tigard-Tualatin area. There are also a number of on-site services available.

    Do I need an appointment to visit the resource center?

    Yes, please call 503-603-1585 or email cwest@ttsd.k12.or.us to schedule an appointment. 

    Do I have to have children in the Tigard-Tualatin School District in order to receive help?

    The resource center operates in partnership with the Tigard-Tualatin School District (TTSD), so the focus of services is on families with children in the district. However, if your children are too young to attend school but will eventually attend TTSD schools because you reside within the district's boundaries, center services are available to you, as well. While on-site services are limited to school district families, please do not hesitate to call with resource questions even if you live out-of-district or do not have children. Staff may still be able to point you in the right direction.

    I'm having difficulty paying my rent, and I'm afraid I'll lose my apartment. What kind of help is available?

    Please see the resource guide for information about local rental assistance programs. The need is generally much higher than the assistance available but many families in our district have still been able to access help.

    My power is about to get shut off. Can you help me pay my bill?

    One option is to call Community Action's energy assistance message line at (503) 615-0771 to apply for help.  If you schedule an appointment, ask about their weatherization program, too, in order to make your home more energy-efficient. You can also contact your energy company to request a payment plan. If you are going to request help from Community Action, it is preferable to do so before you request a payment plan from your energy company as Community Action is only able to make a payment on your monthly amount due.

    To save money on future utility bills, you might be eligible to order a free Energy Saver kit from the Energy Trust of Oregon. For more information, visit www.energytrust.org

    If my children and I lose our apartment, where can we stay?

    You can apply for emergency rental assistance through Community Action. However, the funding for this program is limited compared to the need. If you anticipate that you will lose your apartment, please call right away to get on a waiting list for a family shelter in Washington County at (503) 640-3263. Family Promise of Tualatin Valley may also be an option. Call for eligibility information at (503) 427-2768.

    I've thought about applying for food stamps, but I feel like there are people out there who need the support more than I do. If I receive food stamps, will that take funding away from another family?

    Federal funds for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) are available to everyone who meets the income requirements. If your family qualifies, your participation will NOT prevent another family from receiving support. In fact, using your SNAP card is a great way to stimulate your local economy. You can even use your card at many farmers' markets! For more information about SNAP and eligibility, please visit the SNAP website

    Where can I get an emergency food box?

    There are several organizations in the area that provide emergency food boxes for local families. To learn more, check out the center's community resource guide or call the resource center at (503) 603-1585.

    Is the resource center the same thing as the Caring Closet?

    The resource center and Caring Closet work together to help families, but they are separate programs. The Caring Closet provides clothing and other items for children enrolled in Tigard-Tualatin schools. 

    Where is the Caring Closet?

    The Caring Closet is located next door to the Family Resource Center on the campus of Templeton Elementary School. We are in the lower parking lot behind the TTSD Training Center and gym. 

    How do I make an appointment with the Caring Closet?

    Parents/ guardians should request a referral from their child's school counselor or Family Partnership Advocate in order to receive an appointment with the Caring Closet. Only students currently enrolled in Tigard-Tualatin schools are eligible.

    How do I sign up my family for Christmas/ Holiday help?

    For Christmas/ Holiday help, request an application at your child's school or contact the resource center.  Donors request early application deadlines due to the amount of time needed to coordinate sponsorship; deadlines vary by school, so apply as early as possible.

    How can I help the resource center?

    As a nonprofit program, the center depends on the generosity of businesses, organizations, and individuals in the community to enhance programs and services to local families. If you would like to learn more about donation options, click here.

    How can I volunteer with the resource center?

    If you would like to volunteer with the resource center, check out the current opportunities by clicking here. For the most up-to-date volunteer listings for our center and other organizations in the greater Portland area, visit www.handsonportland.org.

    Who funds the Tigard-Tualatin Family Resource Center?

    The Tigard-Tualatin Family Resource Center was funded by the Washington County Commission on Children and Families for almost 20 years. The Tigard Tualatin School District currently funds and provides in-kind supports that make the program possible. In addition, grants and donations from community partners allow the center to enhance the services offered to families.

    Are resource center staff a part of the school district?

    Yes, resource center staff are school district employees.